Valentine’s Day: A Self-Love Affair
Sunday, January 29th, 2017
Shop This Look:
Sweater:(Similar) | Skirt:Shein | Boots: Sam Edelman | Bracelets: Gold/Silver |
Watch: Kate Spade | Choker:Similar | Hat: GoJane | Clutch: Lulus |
| Lipstick:(Lady Danger) |
So of course, this Valentine’s Day you know I’m going to be all about self-love. Whether you’re staying at home watching Netflix, or going out on the town with your girls you should be feeling as beautiful on the inside as you do on the outside. Last week one of my friends said to me, “Geeze Kelly, you really have it all together. You have nothing to worry about!” That got me thinking. While I have come far in my personal growth I still can’t say that I “have it all together”. I forget things, say the wrong thing, I’m messy, I get nervous, I cheat on my diet, I embarrass myself at least once a day, and the list of flaws that exist in my life goes on. While I used to think of my imperfections as a weakness, I now see that my goofiness, clumsiness, and weirdness are all unique aspects of my personality that make me who I am.
For the longest time, I looked for happiness in others. Whether it was a boyfriend, a huge group of friends, or even a follow or like on social media. As you can guess, I never found true fulfillment through those things. Yes, relationships are a huge part of living a happy, healthy life but why would you want to give someone else enough power to control your joy? Sure, it’s great to have someone come into your life and become a positive influence. But it’s so much more fufilling to be able to say you can have that in solitude as well. To be able to say you created that inner joy yourself, it’s yours to keep, and you will have it whether you have the positive outside factors or not is what makes it real. What’s so great is that you can easily sway your happiness in a positive direction with just a few minor changes.
Since the new year began I’ve been focusing on the little things that make me happy and concentrating on making those things consistent in my everyday life. Valentine’s Day, and every day is the perfect time to create new habits that make you appreciate your life and love yourself even more! I thought I would make a little list of a few things that have worked for me lately, and maybe you guys can try them out!
- THINK POSITIVE THOUGHTS!: So really, this one was one of the hardest for me. The truth is, negativity will do a spectacular job of keeping your life stagnant and dull if you let it. If you’re on routine like I am (school, work, etc.) it’s easy to lose appreciation for the things that you do over and over and mentally get in this state of complaint and resentment towards your everyday tasks. But that doesn’t have to be the case. You can start with the little things. For example, every day when I’m driving to class I tell myself I am GOING to get a good parking spot. There hasn’t been a day since I changed my mindset that I haven’t gotten one! Once you start small you can spread the positivity towards bigger ideas and goals and watch the energy work its magic!
- Don’t compare: It can be hard not to compare yourself to others, especially with the copious amounts of edited photos and body pictures that are all over your discover page every day. Sure, there may be seven billion people in the world but there’s only one YOU! The only person you should compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday. Focus on your own goals and realize that just because someone has success doesn’t mean you don’t! You have your very own amazing characteristics that make you unique and different. Why would you ever want to dull them down by comparing them to someone else’s?
- Get organized: So, those who know me well know I’m not a naturally organized person AT ALL. Within the last year I’ve realized how much unnecessary stress and anguish disorganization adds to my life so I decided to make a change. Even if I’m in a rush in the morning I make sure that my bed is made and that all clothes are off the floor before I leave the house. I recently got a new little Ban.Do agenda. I’ve been writing everything I need to do down, and I mean everything. I’ll even write down that I need to get dog food! This may seem time consuming but I promise you it saves a lot of time not having to rack your mind of your responsibilities! You can change a habit in 21 days, and even within the first week I was asking myself, “How did I ever live disorganized?” So, go for it! I promise you, it will be life changing.
- Take care of your body: This doesn’t just mean looking fit. Someone can have the perfect looking skinny little body and be unhealthy because they aren’t eating anything. Taking care of your body means so much more than looking good. It’s about feeling good! Nourish your body with food when you’re hungry, drink lots water, exercise, and get SLEEP! For the longest time, I was going to bed at 12:30 or 1:00 and trying to wake up at 6:00. By the end of the semester I was extremely drained. Starting this year, I have been trying to get into bed by 10:30 or 11:00 and I’ve felt so much better. Your body (especially your skin) will thank you!
- Be conscious: Once you start to be conscious of what’s happening around you it’s quite easy to appreciate what you have. If I’m having a bad day, I’ll take a second to look around and focus on all the great things I have in my life. Family, friends, pets, I’m so fortunate to be graduating in May debt free, I have a roof over my head, beautiful clothes in my closet, and I’m healthy enough to be active every day. There is so much to be thankful for and once you allow yourself to be conscious of everything around you rather than the one thing that is making your day seem bad, you will realize that unfortunate things might happen but really, it’s all good even when it seems all bad.
- Spread love to others: So in my opinion, every day should be national compliment day! Spreading kindness to someone will not only put a smile on their face but also yours. Make eye contact, smile, and listen. I’m working the PR for an event called Panorama (based on Ted Talks) and one of the speakers mentioned how looking someone in the eyes and truly listening to what they are saying is one of the most real ways that you can show respect. This is SO true! I can’t lie, eye contact makes me uncomfortable and I’m definitely one to daze off during conversation. So, this is something I am really trying to work on. But anyway, there are so many ways that you can spread the love big and small. No matter how you choose to do it, it makes a difference in someone’s life so get creative and spread the love this V-Day and every day!
Thank you guys so much for stopping by my site! I hope this list will contribute to positive change in your life and make this the most perfect Valentine’s day yet. You all are amazing and can do anything you set your mind to! If you have any comments, questions, or just want to talk please don’t hesitate to reach out. Have a wonderful weekend and as always, stay delightful!
Wednesday, January 18th, 2017
Hey guys! I hope you’ve had a wonderful past week. Sorry I’ve been a little MIA, I like to take a break from everything to regroup before school starts. If you guys follow me on social media, you know this is my last semester of college! I can’t believe it and I’m feeling so strong and refreshed as I start this new semester. I got this bodysuit from Dress Lily and it’s such a cute and simple base piece. I love bodysuits because they are super figure fitting and you don’t have to deal with constantly tucking your shirt in. I styled this bodysuit with high-wasted jeans to accentuate my curves and then wrapped a flannel around my waist for a touch of color! I finished this look off with some gold accessories, black booties, and the lipstick “Potent” by Estee Lauder.
Thank you guys so much for stopping by my site to check out this look! I’m so excited for new things coming this semester and can’t wait to share them with you all. Have a wonderful evening my loves, and as always stay delightful!